Posted by Pattie on 3/14/2004 07:30:00 AM

Safe Food

Wow, I can't believe it is nearly a month since I blogged. It has been hectic to say the least. I am not ready to make plans public yet because they are complicated and not completely in place, but some exiciting things are happening and life is about to take a great big left turn. I will give a hint. It involves a lot of writing and writing everyday has made writing here more of a chore.

I feel very good abut the changes, but I'm not entirely happy about life right now. I have endured a lot of bad things in my life. I won't make the list, but I will say that it was stressful.

What amazes me is that the good stuff causes stress as well. Deadlines and details cause the most stress. Both are bearing down on me of late.

The other part of my stress is the world around me.

I don't know how much coverage they give to things like mad cow disease and bird flu in the United States, but it is almost daily here. Actually, I don't watch the news daily, but I assume it is daily because every time I glance at a paper or flip through the news channels or endure a "news break" during a favourite "make-over" show, one or the other story is there.

Seafood is not exempt either (though I don't personally partake as I am deathly allergic to all seafood). Tainted Oysters have been sending people to the hospital. Farmed salmon is another fish story. Apparently eating farmed salmon more than two times a month is tantemount to being exposed to radiation -- you will get cancer.

Of course, I remain suspicious, or, at least, skeptical of all stories about food or scientific study, but the constant discussion about food safety still ruins the appetite.

I remarked to Carl the other day that ironically pork seems to be the only safe meat. Well, boy was I wrong. I guess this is the story that made me the saddest and confirmed my worst fears about how incredibly horrible this world can be at times.

I'd like to say that all of this scared me into becoming an organic vegan, but I got so sick on a strictly vegetarian diet the last time I tried it that I know better than to cut protein out again.

In a perfect world, we would know if the food supply is really tainted or not. In this world, with so many competing economic forces at bay with each other, I am never sure what to believe.

What I do suspect is that all of this arrogance is catching up with humankind. That makes me feel sad and powerless.

0 comments: