Posted by Pattie on 2/13/2004 08:51:00 PM

Friday Blues

I've been a bit loopey today. We went to Vancouver last Sunday, and spent a lot of time in hotels and malls that have halogen lighting. I managed to get a rash akin to a sunburn all over my face and neck from exposure to the light. My face has been peeling and red and itchy. I've been taking antihistamines which helps with the itching, but didn't clear up the rash. Today, I tried a hydrocortisone cream.

Hydrocortisone makes me a bit loopey. I actually drove around my neighbourhood for about 1/2 hour this morning realizing that I kept missing a turn or forgetting where I was going. It was a very strange feeling to be mixed up in my neighbourhood. I managed to buy gas, get food and get to my physiotherapy, but through a most circuitous route.

Oh, and on top of the lights, Vancouver was sunny all three days we were there. For those of you who are unfamiliar, it supposedly rains in Vancouver practically every day of the year (very similar to Seattle). However, I've been to Vancouver a total of 11 times in the past three and a half years, during different seasons of the year, and only once has it rained. For everyone who travels with me, this is a blessing. Since sunshine makes me feel ill, for me it is a curse. Some times I feel really picked on by the universe.

The trip itself was fun. I participated in a focus group evaluating work we did for Veterans Affairs Canada and Health Canada on falls prevention. It felt like a reward for a job well done. Health Canada put us up in Hyatt and paid for the ferry ride over and back along with a per diem for 2 meals and incidentals. Carl came with me (which was nice for him after being couped up for so long) and we stayed out by the airport a second night to extend the trip.

We went shopping and found some great deals to upgrade Carl's wardrobe. Carson would have been proud. And, of course, we know he was watching from T.V. Heaven -- don't you know that all people on TV see everything we do.

Seriously though, it was a lot of fun, except for the damn lights. The mall we went to had replicas of the Terra Cotta army. It was interesting to watch people read about Chinese history in a mall -- many people in Vancouver are originally from Asia and there were young Chinese-Canadian mothers, point things out to their children. I mean this was a Mall and they were replicas and... uh, it was, uh, a postmodern moment.

Kewlest thing to happen to us in cyberspace this week -- one of our radio pages is being referenced on a site about media literacy.

It is always is fun to be noticed. :D

Kewl factoid of the day: Before the English labeled kissing involving the tongue "French Kissing," it used to be called "touching velvet." Hmmm, sexy.

Happy Friday the Thirteenth and Happy Valentine's Day!!!




0 comments: