Posted by Pattie on 12/27/2003 12:31:00 PM

Wanderlust

When I was around 12 years old, I had a neighbour named Vi that I essentially adopted as a grandmother. I spent hours at her house after school. I cleaned her house for her. She never asked to do so, or paid me money. I just did it. I don't remember why. I think I just liked being at her place and it seemed like the thing to do.

She had a chord organ with music sheets that corresponded to the numbers on the key. To this day, middle-C is #12 to me. She let me play on the organ for hours. I actually got very good at it. Though Vi was my only audience, except maybe a few neighbours who could hear me from their open windows.

She moved when I was about 14. I didn't go visit her where she moved. I guess I outgrew my need for her company. Being a teenager, I was too old and too cool to hang out with old ladies. I never really practiced or played an organ again.

I would hear from my mom how she was doing and I vaguely remember being told when she had passed away. I was living in another state by then.

I don't know why I was thinking about her this morning. I guess I was thinking about people in general and how most of the people of my life disappoint me and, worse yet, hurt me in some way or another. I probably disappointed Vi by not visiting her at her new home. Maybe most of the ways we hurt each other are unintentional. Who knows?

I get bored easily. I think it is the curse of a sharp mind. I wish it was different, but I'm now old enough to know that it is just part of who I am. Few things in life hold my attention for very long. Even things that totally fascinate me upon first encounter, will grow uninteresting over time. My insatiable curiosity and sense of adventure will lead me to other fascinating things. I don't stay bored for long. But it means I don't plant roots very deep.

I suspect I was a nomad in an earlier life. Either that, or in prison and not able to go anywhere. At this particular moment, I'm quite bored with my work, my surroundings. I'm ready for a new adventure. There is one cooking and I hope it gets here soon. But that's all I'll say about it for now.

I'm ready to go.

0 comments: