Posted by Pattie on 11/04/2010 12:03:00 PM

A couple of quick updates. First, because my mom has never had to take higher than 150mcg for her hypothyroidism, I kind of assumed that I was somewhere near a maximum dose. I have since discovered that I am not. So the most likely fix is that I need meds adjusted.

The other bit of good news is the doctor's office called and I can see the doctor tomorrow (Nov 5) instead of having to wait another week. It takes a bit for meds to kick in so the sooner I can up the dosage the sooner I'll know if it is going to be sufficient.

I'm very disappointed/frustrated that I haven't found the maximum replacement level for me yet. But again, I have a lot of hope that this may be a core problem and it is fixable.

Thanks to all both here and on FaceBook who have offered support. It really has helped. To all of you who are struggling/have struggled with this I feel the connection.

I have the distinct impression that in a fat neutral world, this would be something that gets more attention and treatment. But since everyone JUST KNOWS that all weight gain is due to the eating and exercise habits of the person, conditions like hypothyroidism that affect weight are ignored.

BTW, this works on the other end as well. I've known cancer survivors who are complimented to no end about their weight loss even though it is one of the earliest symptoms of some cancers. Sort of reminds me of the "beautiful illness" of consumption (tuberculosis) where 19th century people admired the glow this horrible disease gave to the skin.

In any case, I go to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully will find some balance. I'm so far behind in my work and I find the fatigue is frustrating, especially have sleeping 11 hours and taking a day off (which I essentially did yesterday). One day at a time seems to be the only way to handle it all for now.

2 comments:

Notblueatall said...

I will be thinking of you tomorrow then and hoping all goes swimmingly!

Sleepydumpling said...

I have a friend who survived bowel cancer and is often told that she looks amazing these days because she has lost so much weight.

She likes to tell people that she looks ALIVE these days because she had plenty of weight to sustain her through the trauma of her cancer treatment.