Posted by Pattie on 2/22/2010 05:59:00 PM
Labels: , ,

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." --e.e. cummings


I read this quote above on a Facebook page and it fits my mood. I'm having a rather angst Monday.

The page has a link to a website called The Dividing Line.

On that page, there is an fastclick ad (which means it probably changes with each reload) telling me how to make my belly smaller. Fat hatred. It is everywhere.

Existentialism is about finding one's own meaning and being responsible for one's own purpose. It is hard to do when part of accepting who I am is accepting my corporeal self. I live within this body. I choose not to fight my own natural tendencies because I daily pay the price for having tried early in life to do so.

I know what my body means to me. But I also know what it means to the rest of the world. ee cummings couldn't have been more spot - on. It is the hardest battle to simply be the fat me.

0 comments: