Posted by Pattie on 10/16/2004 05:29:00 PM

Irritable Everything

You should know before you read any further that I am in a pissy mood. My skin is crawling and I feel like I can barely sit in my own body. This is a familiar feeling. It is a symptom of fibromyalgia. Someone dubbed FMS the "irritable everything syndrome." Tonight I am feeling like air is an irritation.

On top of that, I think I got too much sun and I feel sick from it. Lupus symptom.

For the past two weeks I've been in the desert. I don't think the desert is very good for me. The landscape around Tucson is beautiful. We are living the shadow of the "pink mountains" north of Tucson and they are incredible.

But I miss trees.

However, there is much to recommend the desert. I like the dryness. I like the fact that once the sun gets behind the trees, things cool down quickly. Siesta makes sense to me now.

We went to Mexico last weekend. Just walked across the border at Nogales. It was our 12th wedding anniversary. The border town was like I remembered Juarez to be in 1981 (just across from El Paso). That was the only other time I went to Mexico.

The only difference was the farmacias. A testimony to how absurd the medical system in the US has gotten. There were at least 50 places to buy drugs within three blocks of the border.

"Lady, lady, do you need prescriptions?"

"No thank you."

I must have said "no" or "no, thank you" about 1000 times in the three hours we were walking around Nogales.

I did buy asthma medicine. No script needed. Supposedly you need a script at the US customs from an American doctor. But customs didn't ask and I didn't offer. I just declared the medicine and they said okay.

For $20 I got three times as much medicine as I would have in the US. Scripts were cheaper in Canada as well. I think it is criminal how expensive medicines are here.

I'm too irritable to rant though. I'm just pissed.

I'm tired of it all as well.

Am I the only one who believes that the whole damn system is about to collapse?

The one cool thing that happened was that while I was in Mexico I got a call on my cell phone from a friend in Canada wishing me a happy thanksgiving. It was a true international moment and I felt like a true traveler.

But none of this changes the fact that I feel pissy and I'm never sure how much of this mood is because the world sucks or because I have FMS.

0 comments: